This blog was just mentioned on a site dedicated to innovation in college media. Check out what they said about several journalism professors who have started blogging.
In case you haven’t heard, the Wisconsin women’s college hockey team won its second consecutive NCAA title. Badgers goalie Jessie Vetter stopped 32 shots for a 3-0 victory over Minnesota in the championship game. Sadly, most sports fans did not know this. As I mentioned last month, women’s sports are merely a second thought to most sports editors ( see “Frozen Four gets frigid reception in most sports departments” under commentary on this blog ). That became even clearer this weekend when another Big Ten team (Michigan State) won the men’s college hockey title in St. Louis. CBSsportsline.com, ESPN.com and USAToday.com devoted considerably more space to the Spartans winning their second title in 21 years than they had to Wisconsin’s winning its second title in a row last month. The Badgers posted the better record (36-1-4), but Michigan State (29-11-2) scored more coverage from national media outlets. We’ll see how much space USA Today devotes in tomorrow’s editions, but bet on more th...
Sports to me mean much more than who wins and who loses. Sports are my connection to my roots, to my family – and, most of all, to my father, a man who bestowed on me a love for games. Unfortunately, I can no longer speak with him. He died two years ago today. I can no longer call him when the Yankees play poorly, as they have the past five days, and discuss which bums need to be traded away. And I can no longer ask him for advice about coaching. Sports are a natural connection between fathers and sons – and, more and more, they are an important connection between dads, moms and daughters. That’s true for me and my girls. My father taught me many lessons about life – and a few more important ones like how to lay down a great drag bunt or how to roll my wrists when I made contact. Those days spent playing with my father were some of the finest in my life. So let’s not forget why we love sports – for the enjoyment of the game and for the time spent with those we care about. I recently co...
David Halberstam, one of America’s best writers, died earlier this evening in a car accident near San Francisco. He was in California working on his 22nd book, this one on NFL hall of famer Y.A. Tittle who now lives in that area. Halberstam , 73, won a Pulitzer for international reporting in 1964, when he covered the Vietnam War for the New York Times . A few years later, he quit full-time journalism to write books on a variety of topics. His 2002 book, "War in a Time of Peace," nearly earned a second Pulitzer (it was runner-up for non-fiction.) "I think that he was the nation's premier journalist," said John Seigenthaler, Tennessean chairman emeritus and a friend in an article in the Nashville Tennessean . I know Halberstam best for his sports books that includes “Teammates,” which is about several Boston Red Sox teammates driving to Florida to see Ted Williams before he died. A few weeks ago, I finished "The Education of a Coach," a book that ever...
Comments
Post a Comment